Sunday, May 8, 2011

Paleo at the firehouse?

Day 2-
I started the day with some serious trepidation...how I could possibly keep eating Paleo while on shift. Typical firehouse food is loaded with carbs, cheese, and salt. I'm used to having to pick around meals...hard to make seven other hungry firefighters avoid gluten, but ask them to eat Paleo? That's crazy talk!

Luckily for me I have an awesome and somewhat understanding crew. I talked with them while PT'ing this morning and told them about my challenge. First they laughed, then they teased me about being a cavegirl, followed by a few serious questions about making sure this challenge wouldn't negatively affect my health. After explaining myself, my Captain said he's behind me 100% (as long as I still pay in to the chow fund).

I am happy to say that all my worries were unfounded. It was my truck's turn to cook, and my Captain suggested grilled chicken fajitas with a ton of sauteed veggies. The guys ate black beans and rice, and I had a side of extra peppers and some diced avocados! Who knows...maybe I'll even convince them to say no to rice & beans next time too! For now though, I'm just happy to have the support of my crew (even with the teasing).

No comments:

Post a Comment