Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 24- Hits and misses

I cannot believe the 30 day paleo challenge is almost over. The time has flown by.  I thought with only six days left that I would reflect back a little on some of the highs and lows of this challenge.

HIGHS:

  • Lost an inch on my waist so far!
  • Learned to read labels not just for calories
  • Realized that most of the time I'm craving sweets it's because I haven't had enough "healthy fat"
  • Learned how crappy some of my favorite foods are (talking about you mango!)
  • My running is finally getting back to where it needs to be
  • Learning that dairy is not my friend (or at least not my stomach's friend)
  • Support from my family & friends


LOWS:

  • The first two weeks my energy was non-existent
  • Recovery from hard workouts has taken longer than normal
  • My cheat meals (couldn't pass up a few along the way)
  • Missing oatmeal, sweet potatoes, & black beans
  • My bank account took a hit (nuts are expensive snacks!)
  • Didn't lose as much weight as I was hoping (about 5lbs was it)
  • I didn't post as often as I wanted to


With six days left, I'm going to really do my damnedest to finish strong and see if I can't turn some of those lows into positives.  I have learned a lot so far and could use at least another 30 days to really figure out how to incorporate paleo into my life for the long term.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. You're too athletic for that arbitrary-number-on-a-scale game.

    Scale weight is not a great representation of how fit you are because you have lots of muscle. And muscles are sexy. I've seen yours, so I know.

    Take a look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? Take a look at your jeans. Do they fit nicely?

    These are great ways to measure your progress, and even they can be deceiving (damn you, Aunt Flow!).

    With that said, 5 pounds is GREAT! I know you were just trying to measure your progress with the scale, but don't let it make you think you haven't improved.

    I'm willing to bet you're learning all sorts of things new about your body, and the optimal way to fuel it. Experiencing the lows will tell you a lot about what you need!

    There are all sorts of Paleo/ Ancestral Eating plans. Seems like you took a bit of a hard core route for someone who's on the go as much as you.

    You totally don't have to be a slave to the diet it to reap the benefits. Even Mark Sisson goes by the 80/20 rule. Just cut out the obvious foods that you KNOW are hindering your progress. Mangoes were one of your weaknesses, (entire jars of) peanut butter were mine. I've got like a bajillion more.

    Eh, anyway, just wanted to remind you that you rock for stepping out of your comfort zone, and committing to the diet. You've got balls.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete