Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 4- Brotherly advice

Yesterday was a busy day so my entry is 12hrs late. Oops. Got up at 4:30 to row, packed, then drove to Bisbee for belated mother's day. We went to Santiago's for dinner. Had a delicious 8oz lean cut of carne asada (prime rib) and a salad that I drenched with fresh pico de gallo.

While at dinner, I talked with my brother Erik about my paleo challenge. He's dabbled in Paleo a bit, although he can't give up his once a week addiction to the Dbl Whopper plain with cheese. He was surprisingly encouraging but lectured me for not eating enough that day. With my go-go-go schedule I only had one real meal before dinner at 8:30. A few paleo snack throughout the day weren't enough to stave off the grumpiness and general lethargy. My bro made the point, which I already knew but chose to ignore, that if you workout hard you have to make time to refuel your body. Otherwise you'll end up losing muscle and be too tired to hit the gym, track, or lake hard the next day.

The other important advice my brother gave me was about guacamole. During his Level 1 Crossfit Cert training, a nutritionist spoke of the amazing benefits of avocados. In her words, "it's like green butter, put the stuff on everything!".

A little lesson on avocados: Avocado is a fruit, one of the only fatty fruits. It contains loads of vitamin E, B vitamins, potassium and fiber. Its fat content is mostly monounsaturated, so it's a healthier option than eating a ton of nuts or nut butters, which are higher in omega 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment