Monday, January 16, 2012

Start of Clean Living Challenge 2012 at CFSW!


Today starts the four week "Clean Living Challenge" presented by Ken at Crossfit Southwest. We had an informative meeting tonight, and I was inspired and awed by the amount of people that showed up to participate. Granted this is day 1 of 28 but the enthusiasm was high!


 
Here are the basics:
1) Eat real food (lean meat, veggies, fruit, & nuts/seeds)
2) Avoid crap food that makes us unhealthy (grains, dairy, sugar, processed food, alcohol, & legumes)
3) Recover (heal wounds...make imbalances balanced, etc...)
4) Set goals and create action plans on how to achieve them both for the challenge and the long haul
5) Exercise & be fit
 
I actually started the process this morning by purging the house of "unfit" food. Luckily for me, the house is not filled with cookies and cakes but it was hard to get rid of the oatmeal, honey, and the booze!

Bailey's & Goose, I'll miss you most of all!
After I was done with purge, I rewarded myself with some delicious egg muffins. The recipe is super simple, and they store fairly well if you make a bunch in advance.

Ingredients:
  • 5 slices nitrate free/organic bacon (diced and cooked ahead of time)
  • 10 eggs (beaten)
  • 1 cup already cooked spinach (you can use frozen)
  • 3 green onion stalks (diced) 
Method:
Mix all ingredients together.  Either line muffin tins with paper or grease heavily (I'm so investing in silicon baking cups soon!) and evenly distribute mixture.  Bake at 350 for approx 20-25 minutes, depending on oven. Enjoy!

Nutrition: (Per muffin)
  • 72 cals
  • 4g fat
  • 1.25g carbs
  • 6.25g protein
After the meeting, I had a meal fit for a primal queen-- free range top sirloin and organic greens. Yum! Guess I should start tackling the "initial assessment" and figure out what exactly I want out of this challenge...

1 comment:

  1. Comment of the day:
    My dad, "I'll take the oatmeal and booze!!!"

    ReplyDelete