Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 5- Vitamin D deficiency in AZ?

Day 5

As part of the CFSW clean living challenge, I have been keeping a food log. I started it primarily to keep track of my protein, fat, & carb intake. One of the extra benefits of the app I'm using is it keeps track of vitamins and water intake too.
Much to my surprise, I have found out that I am not getting the "suggested" amount of Vitamin D. I have cut out many of the sources- dairy, "fortified" & processed foods, and egg yolks. Even my avid use of sunscreen lowers my numbers. I started taking fish oil pills to help increase my levels since fatty fish are a great source. I also did a little browsing to learn more about vitamin D.
Some of the best sources are:
1)shiitake mushrooms
2)herring
3)sardines
4)mackerel
5)sockeye salmon
6)egg yolks
7)sunshine

I also found this interesting post about female athletes and vitamin D deficiencies even in sunny climates. Women with malabsorption issues like Crohn's & Celiac's (that's me!) are at even more risk!

So what are signs & symptoms to look for?
1)fatigue
2)Depression
3)chronic back pain (especially lower back)
4)obesity
5)osteoporosis

What can adequate intake do for an athlete?
1)increase VO2 max
2)strengthen bones (important for runners!)
3)Improved immunity
4)Reduced inflammation

For more information check out this article: http://running.competitor.com/2010/10/nutrition/vitamin-d-and-endurance-exercise_6776

4 comments:

  1. I use "my net diary pro." you can adjust the recommended intake of nutrients to meet your needs and activity level. I like it because I'm aiming for 100g of carbs a day and this tells me how much I have left. You can scan UPC codes and enter your own food if it's not already listed. It's the best food app diary I've seen/used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO right about vit-D. And if you're chronically low on it, just getting it from food won't bump those levels up high enough.

    It's seriously hard to OD on it, so take a crap load because what the FDA recommends is not nearly enough (200 IU... pffffft). The hubz is supplementing with capsules of 5,000 IU a day... though I hear liquid form is best. I get my D from a tanning bed to fight off seasonal affective disorder and PMS. It alters my mood and energy levels immediately.

    This has some cool info on D: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/d_is_for_doping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good to know that I'll need to do more than just adjust my diet until levels are higher.

      Delete