Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 2- Busy but I'm learning to plan ahead

Day 2: Clean Living Challenge
Today has been extremely busy and productive. I started my class on cardio fitness & training. It seems fitting to start class during this challenge.  Hopefully this class/degree will help me continue to educate myself and live a healthier life.
I also got back into the pool after a lot of months off.  It felt great to glide through the water and it helped loosen up my back which has been bothering me as of late. Rehabbing is definitely going to be a priority during this challenge.
I also prepared a favorite dish of mine with a few tweaks to provide yummy snacks throughout the week.

Clean Living Swedish Meatballs (or as the Swedish Chef would say, "bjork, bjork, bjork, bjork!)
  • 1lb ground elk
  • 1lb ground beef
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 medium yellow or white onion (grated, not diced)
  • 1 tsp butter or ghee
  • 1 tbsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cardamon
  • 1 tbsp nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp allspice
Heat butter in medium sauce pan. Add grated onion  (use either food processor or cheese grater) and pinch of salt to butter. Cook approx 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently. You don't want to caramelize the onion, just cook it through.

Add onion to meat, spices, almond flour, and egg yolks. Mix thoroughly (by hand is most fun and therapeutic.)  Measure approx 1/4 cup of meat mixture or less and place on lined baking sheet. (This is messy so tinfoil is your friend.) Bake at 400 for 20-30.

Yields approx 26 meatballs.
Per meatball: 89 calories, 5g fat, 1g carbs, 9g protein

I used 1lb of ground elk (thanks Dad for actually killing one this year) and 1lb free range ground beef (again, thanks Dad for the hookup.)  You can use whatever type of ground meat you have around. I get a lot of my meat from a rancher down in McNeal area (think Douglas). He delivers up here if you don't happen to have a family connection. The ranch is called Sky Island Brand / 47 Ranch.  You can contact them at: crossu@vtc.net or 520 642-9368.

They also have a facebook page: Sky Island Brand Facebook

1 comment: