Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 28- Filthy 50

After a somewhat busy day and night at work, I chose to forgo a much needed nap and get my ass handed to me at Crossfit Southwest.

The morning session started off easy enough, some rowing on the erg, KB strict shoulder presses, and quadrupedal movements. QM's are great ways to increase flexibility, speed, and coordination. Think bear walks, crab walks, spider-mans, cat walks (like bear walks but hands and feet must stay in one line), and frog jumps. All very primitive but effective movements to get the heart pumping.

After the warm-up, the WOD (workout of the day) was written on the whiteboard-- FILTHY 50! For those of you unfamiliar with Crossfit, the Filthy 50 is a benchmark workout and pushes your body physically and mentally. It crosses the threshold of aerobic and anaerobic. The Crossfit Southwest website sums it up well:

The “Filthy 50″ is a brutal test of your physical abilities as well as your mental strength. If you have a weak mind, or a chink in your armor, this workout will likely exploit it. We jump, pull, push, squat, and lunge (among other things) our way to 500 reps as fast as we can.
The workout as RX'd: 

Everything was as RX'd except the wall ball...I only used a 12lb ball but went the full height--10ft. My time was 28:33! 

I blew through the swings, lunges, and presses, but the KTE's kicked my butt! One more thing to work on, I guess. Anyways...I invite you all to give this WOD a try if you haven't done it already. If you have, give it another go and see if you can't PR. 

I was dreading it at first but felt like I had accomplished something great afterwards There is no better feeling than pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone and triumphing.  Plus a nap is so much more enjoyable after you earn it.


1 comment: