Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Challenge Over--ish

So the 30 day challenge was officially over on Sunday, but I was working a 48 so I'm just now getting around to writing about it. It's funny...things have not really changed all that much since it finished. I'm still eating pretty much paleo--with a few minor adjustments. I missed you oatmeal! My body seems to crave mostly protein, healthy fats (mmm...avocados), and veggies now. I feel like I am more in-tune with my body, I eat when I'm hungry and have given up the "eat every 2-3 hours, even if you're not hungry" mantra. It's almost as if the challenge hit the reset button on my body.




So let's look back on a few of my reasons for doing the low-carb paleo challenge and see if it accomplished what I was hoping:
1) Lean up. 
I may not have made the unrealistic drastic changes I was secretly hoping for, but this is the beginning to lasting changes. A few wise friends pointed out that the scale only gives us an arbitrary number and that what we see in the mirror and how we feel are the real gauges to health. So how do I feel? I still struggle with what I see in the mirror but I do appreciate my clothes fitting better and my legs and butt look especially fantastic :p I have noticed I'm getting more vascular...even the veins in my feet are starting to pop out. A fun little sign that I'm heading in the right direction.  
2) Dominate fitness/competition. 
This one for sure is improving.  My run times are slowly improving...here I come sub 25min 5K! My strength is improving...I did 7 legit strict pullups the other day!! 10 is just around the corner.  Oh, and I can still throw over 140 feet in hammer even after a year off of coaching and four years since competing.  I am less than 12 weeks away from the police and fire games and feel like I am right on track. 
3) Shake things up & tear down the mental barriers.
This is probably the most difficult for me.  I've struggled my whole life with bouts of self-doubt and low self-esteem.  Only those closest to me have really seen this side, until now that is. It is embarrassing yet therapeutic to publicize my fears and struggles. It's kind of like AA (or so I assume)...the first step of any problem is to admit you have one. The next step is to conquer my self-doubt and see myself for all the wonder that is me.  So I'd say things are shook and those barriers are slowly getting chipped away.


So what does the future hold? Guess you'll just have to check back for updates...



No comments:

Post a Comment