Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 16- A brief reflection

My thought for the day: An often overlooked part of our lives, unfortunately, is the relationships of those closest to us.

As part of the primal challenge, diet & fitness may take center stage, but play & family are equally as important. The first time I tried this challenge my mood was severly affected. I had a lot of "nasty" moments where even the slightest gesture would spin me into a negative mood. It was like I was enshrouded by negativity. Don't get me wrong there were some really good days, but I let the limitations of the diet affect my mood.

I am happy to say that this time around I have had a much more pleasant experience (and so has my crew & my man who bear the brunt of my moods). There have been a few negative moments this time around but much less severe and shorter in duration. So what is different? One is that after the last challenge I did not revert to a carb-fiend so this time around the limitations of the challenge seem just like the everyday choices I've been making since the last time. Second, and probably more important, is that I feel more support. Jesse has been helping me in the kitchen so it doesn't feel like so much work to cook almost every meal. My crew has adapted meals to fit my needs and even let me opt out of chow a few times. My new "Crossfit family" has been amazing. I especially want to thank Heather for spearheading our group discussion boards so we can exchange ideas and share our struggles and ways to overcome them.

Last time I tried to do this on my own. Now I realize that part of this experience is to discover that sense of community and closeness that is often missing in our fast-paced lives. Living primal means slowing down to enjoy the moment and the company we keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment