Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fall goes Primal?

October has to be one of my favorite months of the year. I love decorating for Halloween even though the candy is lurking around every aisle at the store tempting me. Damn you fun size Snickers! The weather has finally dropped below 100 but not so cold that I'm bundled up like an Eskimo (anything below 55 requires gloves, multiple layers, and a scarf...I'm an AZ native after all.) Finally, pumpkins are everywhere and make amazing additions to any meal.


Today I tried to "primalize" two pumpkin recipes...pumpkin spice cake and pumpkin pancakes. Both turned out pretty good except the pumpkin cake never really cooked all the way through in the very middle.  If you're interested, here are the recipes:

PROTEIN PUMPKIN PANCAKES

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • coconut oil or butter for frying
Directions

  1. Mix ingredients and cook on griddle like you would any other kind of pancake

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE


Ingredients:

Maybe I took the diet too far...I'm all skin & bones!
(yes...I'm a Halloween nerd!)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour, sifted
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt 
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients.
  4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and blend with a mixer until evenly combined.
  5. Lightly grease 13x9" pan with oil and pour batter into pan
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, check with a toothpick.

4 comments:

  1. What kind of childhood involves creepy suns??!! Funny!
    These look good, but a little too healthy.
    Hooray-now I can stalk/follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear lawd...is that your brother? Hulkalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It involved Mexican tile...not the creepy sun part. My grandma used to have a table with loose tiles on top, and I'd always rearrange them. Oh and yes, that is my brother. He's newly single if you know anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW...on the pumpkin spice cake...I used 1/4 cup sugar and a 1/4 cup maple syrup. It just doesn't taste the same without a little sugar. For oil, I used EVOO (ugh I want to punch myself for typing that...stupid Rachel Ray) but you could go rogue and try some coconut oil or even butter. Let me know if it helps with the "pudding in the middle" problem.

    ReplyDelete